“God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in Him.” This quotes and many many more as I am doing a self study course on “When I don’t desire God. How to fight for Joy“. John Piper is really an amazing teacher of the word. I can’t get enough of how articulate and clear he is in his teaching! This post is just me typing down some of the points as I skim through the videos, again… 2 of the 5 total videos of the conference. I will pop this onto my resources page once done.
- What started this conference off? “Not that we lord it over your faith, but we work with you for your joy, for you stand firm in your faith.” (2 Corinthians 1:24 ESV)
- Pastoral point – John started this series because too often he hears people coming to his office saying, “Pastor, I feel that my head knowledge of God and what you teach is good, but the distance between my head and my heart are 10,000 miles!”
- What does it mean for God to love me? He loves me by giving me unimaginable gifts. The gift of salvation, eternal life and communion with Him… so that I can glorify Him. Ultimately He loves us so that we can love Him and glorify him.
- (This one’s a real punchline…) God is most glorified in you when you are most satisfied in Him. i.e. You glorify what you enjoy. (True! e.g. I enjoy coffee. By talking and sharing it, I glorify coffee)
- (Another awesome illustration…) – The concept is “Sorrowful yet always rejoicing” (Heb 12:2). This is how he describes Christian love that outflows from Joy in God. This means our empathy for others. Our tears, hurt and yearning for other believers and non-believers as we are sorrowful for them and their soul. This is how John illustrates Christian love… “Your joy is going to become a high pressure zone that begins to make wind and when it bumps up against the low pressure zone of need, that wind is called LOVE! It’s spilling over from the joy in God.”
There are simply too much good stuff in the conference material and his sermons to quote them all. The above are just really tiny excerpts. But the few ones in bold above I’ll keep “on file” for future reference and use. Especially the high and low pressure zone one to illustration the outpouring of love because of our Joy in God.